Blog 1

DH as Flowing Water

As I was reading the different readings assigned to us this week, my brain was trying to make sense of the different meanings, ideas, and perspectives of Digital Humanities. I was thinking about it must be exciting that  this field is new and how everyone is trying to come up with a definition.  It seems like collectively, scholars are trying to put it in a box with instructions on how to handle it (not exciting). 

From the first reading, The Digital Humanities Moment (2012 – until A DH that Matter (2019) – there seems to be a massive change in definition and approach. However, we all know that as of today, September 2022 – that definition is only more complex as we just underwent a substantial transformative change in our society due to the pandemic, especially in related to technology and humankind.

As I looked through the different websites, my mind shut off its analytical functions, and then I started to get emotional looking through visual projects of DH. The Early Caribbean Digital Archive & Colored Conventions Project DH projects serve to preserve history (good and bad) and educate students. The Torn Apart / Separados informs the public of our inhumane and corrupt politics that hurt our vulnerable friends, family, classmates, students, and friends. However, it can also be a tool for advocacy and promoting changes for people who want to support immigrant rights. 

Based on the readings and sites, it seems there would never be a defined definition or approach to Digital Humanities since humanity and technology are ever-changing. Instead, I think Digital Humanities can support the relationship between technology and human being. DH should not be in a box but flow like moving water.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

About Estefany M Gonzaga

First Gen | Student Parent | Digital Humanities & Pedagogy Graduate Student | Higher Education Professional Talks about #graphicdesign, #peermentorship, #studentsuccess, #digitallearning, and #professionaldevelopment Estefany Marlen Gonzaga is the Program Coordinator for LaGuardia’s Student Success Mentor (SSM) Program. In this role, she recruits, trains, and guides student leaders who mentor and support new-to-college students in the discipline-specific First-Year Seminar Studio Hour Lab. Having been a mentee and mentor herself, Estefany understands the value and impact of peer mentorship and leverages these experiences in her work with SSMs. Throughout her ten years in CUNY, she has listened to the reasons New Majority students go to college and captured their stories in the video “I am going to college because…” referenced in Cathy N. Davidson’s book The New Education. Estefany holds an Associate of Science in Business Administration from LaGuardia Community College and a Bachelor of Arts in Business Communication (specialization in Graphic Communication) from Baruch College. In the Fall of 2022, she will continue her studies at the CUNY Graduate Center to pursue a Master of Arts in Digital Humanities, Digital Pedagogy.